· 1 1/2 cups cubed whole wheat bread (or you can use stuffing mix)
· 3 3/4 cups cubed white bread (or you can use stuffing mix)
· 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
· 1 pack of sausage (breakfast sausage links)
· 1 cup chopped onion
· 3/4 cup chopped celery
· 2 tablespoons capers
· 2 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
· 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
· 4 apples, cored and chopped
· 3/4 cup turkey stock
· 4 tablespoons olive oil
· Dried cranberries and walnuts (if desired)
1. If using bread, put into a toaster oven or oven for 5 – 8 minutes at 350 degree F, until they are evenly toasted.
2. Cut the sausage into small pieces. Using a large skillet, cook the sausage, ground beef or turkey and onions over medium heat; stir and break up the lumps until evenly browned. Add seasoning…like Morton’s All Seasoning or Mrs. Dash. Add the celery, sage and rosemary; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend flavors. Then add the chopped apples and cook the mixture for 5 more minutes.
3. When the meat mixture is cooked, add it to the bread mixture. At this point you can add the capers, dried cranberries and chopped walnuts (if desired). Pour in the turkey stock and olive oil, and lightly stir it. Then the final step is to spoon the mixture into the turkey and any extra stuffing can be put into a casserole dish and covered with foil and heated in the oven.
I hope you enjoy this stuffing as much I do. Please feel free to share some of your favorite Thanksgiving Day recipes. I hope you have a great holiday season with your family!